Sunday, November 30, 2008

The Grid Iron

I LOVE FOOTBALL!!!!
After Tucker's last middle school game the team ran the gauntlet of cheerleaders to meet the cheering crowd. We loved every minute of it - even when snowflakes started falling. It was COLD!



Tay and I congratulate Tucker.

(He really did enjoy himself -)





I have been begging Mike since football season ended to write something for the blog. Today he handed me this masterpiece:


Fall means football, and Tucker and Henry both engaged in grid iron battles this year.
It was Henry's first experience with football, and he loved putting on the pads and helmet (adorable).

His goal this season as he repeated frequently was, "I just want to hurt somebody!" Thankfully he was unsuccessful. Henry played defensive end and averaged about 3 tackles per game. He loved every minute of it, but is debating his future in the game. You see, games were on Saturday morning - so for 8-10 weeks he couldn't have any sleepovers. (His true passion!)

(Henry's team @ Webb City field)



Mike got to coach Tucker's 8th grade team this year, and they were phenomenal. They went undefeated (1st time for a Joplin middle school since 1975) and won the Tri-County Conference Championship. Tucker never left the field the entire season starting on the offense, defense, kick off, kick return, punt and punt return teams. He played left guard on the offensive line and right defensive end on defense. After every game the team would review the video tape and give helmet stickers for big hits, turnovers, touchdowns, etc.... only 2 or 3 helmets were more decked out than Tucker's.

Coach Pliler, Tucker, Mike
(The boys tried to dump a cooler of water and Gatorade on their coaches.)

Mike, who throughout September and October could be seen confidently smiling and strutting through the hallways of South and on the sidelines, is currently curled up in a ball, sitting in a corner, and crying. Yes, you guessed it. It's girls basketball season! The girls were much improved this year dribbling the ball clear to the half court before travelling, double dribbling, or simply dribbling out of bounds. Honestly though they have won 2 more games than last year for a total of 2 wins on the season. Boys basketball starts this week and hope springs eternal.

8 comments:

Rachel said...

Man, there are so many new posts, ( I love it!) I didn't want to comment on all of them, so I'll just make a big comment on this one. :) First off, congrats to Henry and Tucker on their amazing football seasons! (And Mike for coaching) Congrats to Taysom for doing awesome on her oratory! (Even though I don't know what that is, but it sounds really prestigious) It's been way too long since I've seen this beautiful family, everyone is growing up really fast. Let's just say, Richie and I are basically holding our breaths until the end of this month!! Ilah, you are so creative with those Thanksgiving centerpieces! And Jenn, you look dang cute in those pictures. I love that purple shirt ps. We miss you!!

themechams said...

Yeah football! Joe is VERY impressed. How he would love to play for Mike! When are you coming our way?
BTW we meet at Jones/Smoke Ranch at 10 am.

Russ and Natalie said...

Loved reading all about the family...especially the football. Great job on the successful season. There is nothing like small, home town football. Sounds like Tucker might have a knack for it, and with his size, who knows what his future holds? Can't wait to see you guys.

Russ

Megs said...

I can't believe how old Tucker looks all of a sudden! Maybe it's just the sweaty uniform...

Frances Wallace said...

I stand all amazed at my posterity. I can't believe how much Tucker reminds me of Michael at his age.
All the kids look so much older. Jennifer , you look awesome.
That's a small turkey, Michael, but it looks delicious. I can't even put into words how much I miss all of you. Well of course I'm crying!

Shannon said...

Jenn,
I love the picture of you an Tucker. He is growing at an almost alarming rate:) You are simply BEAUTIFUL! I really miss you. Thanks for being a wonderful example!

Shannon said...

Ok Jen~Taysom,
It is time for a Christmas background. I love the fall but we all need a little Christmas! I love you both.
S

Marilee said...

Jen, I got your Christmas card today and have spent the last hour or two reading your blog. I love it! My oldest daughter, Annalee (age 6) has memorized everyone in your family and is asking when she gets to meet you all, so I think we'll have to plan a mini reunion. Andru guessed we're probably about a 10-hour drive from each other. Anyway, please give me your phone number so I can call you sometime (hopefully soon). My e-mail is marileemk@earthlink.net. And just ignore the message saying I don't know who you are... it sends it to everyone the first time they e-mail me. Love, Marilee