Saturday, November 29, 2008

Tasty Tidbits




Happy Turkey Day!

It is so nice to have a break from the daily grind. Since we didn't have school Wednesday, I decided it was time to weed our planters and get the yard ready for winter so to speak. As you can imagine, no one (including Mike) was very happy about it... but the weather was beautiful and after about an hour, the kids quit complaining. Ilah put on some of her favorite music, and before long I think everyone was enjoying themselves. Mike and Ilah took a load to the dump while Henry, Tucker, Taysom and I bagged weeds and some of the leaves- then swept everything up. When Mike returned he even bagged the rest of the leaves. The bunnies are so cute checking out the fresh planters and jumping around the yard.

Later that evening Tucker made his frozen fruit slices and apple pie. I made Grandma Crosby's pumpkin pie (with homemade crust). Taysom is making fun of me for mentioning the fact that it was a homemade crust. I am proud of that crust though! Several years ago, my great friend Rose taught me how to make pie crusts. I never really attempted it on my own though. So hallelujah - the pie crusts were flaky and delicious. Since my children enjoy cooking and are much better at it than me, I have to celebrate when I make anything well.
Thursday Ilah treated us to cinnamon rolls, eggs and bacon for breakfast. Mike got the turkey in the oven and the rolls rising. After a leisurely morning, we headed to the park, checked out the new walking paths, tossed the football around, and the kids played on the monkey bars etc. At one point Henry caught a pass from Mike and started running. After he was about 40 yards away, he yelled over his shoulder, "Tucker, tackle me!" Right when Tucker was about to reach him, Henry spiked the ball and did his touchdown dance.

Earlier in the week Ilah and I had gone on a walk. I told her about the incredible Hinckley family Thanksgivings. She remembered me telling her that Grandpa Hinckley would design beautiful center pieces for the tables the morning of Thanksgiving all from nature. She noticed several things we could use to make a beautiful center piece for our table as we were walking. So Thursday afternoon Ilah, Henry and I took some clippers and "stole" some sprigs of holly, etc. Then they designed a beautiful centerpiece while I made the stuffing and Taysom made the mashed potatoes and green bean casserole.


I have to admit that I was a little worried about having Thanksgiving dinner with just our immediate family... that it wouldn't feel like anything but a glorified Sunday dinner. BUT - it was wonderful! Sooooo relaxing.... delicious... fun... We tried to have our extended family there through the recipes. The kids are great chefs- they must get it from their dad.

Henry even make the Kool-Aid!

Since there wasn't a movie that was beckoning us to come and see it, we rented Hoosiers instead. The missionaries stopped by in time for Foosball, ping pong, and dessert.





I look forward to having Thanksgiving dinner with lots of cousins, grandmas, grandpas, aunts and uncles next year (hopefully). But every now and then I hope we get to have just our immediate family surrounding the table where everyone had a hand in the dinner/dessert, etc.

I am very thankful for my friends and family. We love you!!



2 comments:

Bennions said...

Happy Thanksgiving a day or to late. Bennions

Adrienne said...

Jenn, it was AWESOME to see the pictures and read about your Thanksgiving! It sounded very special and every time I read your blog I am amazed at how insightful you are and what a great writer you are. I sure love you ALL!
Adrienne