Friday, November 14, 2008

Reading with Mom


Several weeks ago Ilah started reading Cornelia. Every now and then she would ask Mike or I to read with her. I have to admit that the little bits and pieces I read with her didn't capture my attention like most books... until a couple of nights ago... You see, Ilah was near the end of her book and wanted to get done and take her AR test before the week was through. When we didn't finish Wednesday night, she begged me to read with her while dinner was cooking on Thursday after school. We read and read until dinner was burned, tears were streaming down our faces and the book was finished. That little Cornelia character really grew on me. I could see why Ilah enjoyed the book so much from day 1.



Cornelia and the Audacious Escapades of the Somerset Sisters - $12.44

Burned Dinner - $15.00

Watching your daughter connect with a character in a book where feelings are so strong it is like they are best friends - PRICELESS






This experience brought back memories of reading the Little House series with my mom. I can remember many a nights listening to my mom's voice describing the antics of Laura, Mary, Alonzo, Willie, Nellie, Ma and Pa and the gang. I also remember waking her up as she fell asleep mid sentence :) I don't know how she had the drive to do everything she did for us. As a mom myself I can honestly say that my mom is a Super Mom... I never saw her in a cape and tights... she must have hid them under her clothing... But late at night, after we children were finally asleep, she put her super powers to the test as she sewed costumes and special occasion dresses, worked on her artwork, put finishing touches on our school assignments, cleaned, did laundry, decorated, painted, etc. No wonder she would doze off mid sentence while reading us bedtime stories. We always felt loved by Mom - and still do to this day. I hope that even though I don't have the 'mom super powers', that my children feel that love from me just as strongly.


Happy Birthday Mom!

5 comments:

Bennions said...

I remember reading with my mom too. Reading your comments sent me back down my own memory lane. Thanks. Tif

Rachel said...

I agree, I have no idea how mom did it. I hope I can do it like she did and like you and Nat, Becca and A are doing it. You are all AMAZING moms. What a fun experience reading that book with Ilah. Is she in 3rd these days? I'm going to try and call you guys today. Miss you!

Shannon said...

You are a 'Super Mom' to me! I remember your mom staying up late and doing doing doing. I really miss her. She has alwasy been an example of the kind of mom I try to be. Love you.
S

Frances Wallace said...

Your Mom is amazing! Please wish her a "Happy Birthday" from Fran and Jim

One Opinionated Housewife said...

Why must you make me nearly cry? And Jenn, whatever. I literally said to Adrienne yesterday, and I quote, "Jenn is the quintessential mother." You and your mom set the bar impossibly high!