Thursday, August 1, 2013

Trek Time

Mike and I had the opportunity to be a 'Ma' and 'Pa' for the trek again.  Four years ago, Mom and Adrienne came to stay with Ilah and Henry.  I would have loved to have them come again, but because Tucker and Ilah were participating, we only had to make arrangements for Henry.  He ended up staying at Ian's the first night and then the Belnaps the second night.  He didn't miss us at all. 

Our stake decided to make their own handcarts this year and we actually trekked within our stake boundaries instead of traveling to Oklahoma.  Yay for less travel time! 
They even branded the temple on each one!

The weather was quite mild this year.  In fact, it rained for several days prior to the trek and a little bit on our first day.  So the temperature was in the 70's ... maybe reaching low 80's on occasion.  The downside of that was the MUD and puddles and humidity. 



We also had crazy amounts of ticks, spiders, and even snakes.  But I am getting ahead of myself...

We met at the church early Thursday morning.
Tucker with several of the guys from our ward.

Ilah with some of the girls from our ward.

Then we drove to a Missouri conservation area about an hour away.  

Where we gathered our supplies~


Found our trek families~
 Mike and I had some incredible kids.  I had 'triplets' (three - 14 year olds),  'twins' (two 15 year olds), one 16 year old, one 17 year old, and one 18 year old.

Tucker's trek family:
 Ilah's trek family:


Loaded the handcart~




And had a snack~

Shane and Amy bringing us some homemade bread and jam.


Tucker, Shane, and Ilah ready to go.



Group shot - notice how overcast it is.




 Heading out...


'My boys' - Shane, Jacob, and Kevin

'My girls' - Kaylee, McKayla, Jessica, Cheridyn (not pictured Zoe)
We hiked about 10 miles that first day through mud and puddles and wet fields full of ticks.  Mike and I developed a new appreciation for the pioneers. 

Tucker with his family

Our family

The Handcart train


Drink Break


 About 1/2 way through day one, we were "attacked" by bandits.  I was toward the back of our group and couldn't hear most of it, but I did hear something about wanting to string up Joe Smith.

Jim as the main bandit


Our camp for the night

Right across the path is where Tucker's family camped.  A copperhead snake was spotted on their tarp and killed by a shovel.

Highlight of Day 2: The Women's Pull
Here my girls are rocking it - with the help of another mom. 

Ilah and her sisters

after the turn

We were told that there was one steep hill for the women's pull.  We went up the first half and then turned 90 degrees and went up the second half.  I made it okay prior to the turn... then I started struggling.  Another mom came back after getting her handcart up the hill to help along with a sister from the stake YW.  Little did we know that there was a second hill - even steeper than the first.  I was so discouraged.  Thankfully Mike and our boys along with some other men were lining the sides of the path.  They weren't supposed to help unless it was an emergency.  Mike encouraged us, but sweet Shane ran down to us and took over my spot pushing in the back.  I was so thankful!!!  I hiked the rest of the way huffing and puffing carrying something that had fallen out of the cart.  Megan Belnap saw me and ran to me.  She linked arms with me and took whatever it was I was carrying and helped me get to where I needed to be.  What a tender mercy.

Our camping conditions were much better that night AND Mike improved upon our tarp shelter.  We enjoyed home made ice cream from some Menonites and the kids had a fun dance.

DAY 3
Still Smiling




I love the pioneer sunglasses!

Kaylee almost there.

Our kids are almost to Zion!

Mike and I bringing up the rear with McKayla

I'm so thankful Heavenly Father provided this opportunity for me.  I didn't even mind the 8 ticks that came home attached to my body.  I LOVED my trek family and so did Ilah and Tucker.

3 comments:

Grandma and Grandpa Crosby said...

Glad you had a good Trek experience. I'm ashamed to admit I've never done a trek! I'm more ashamed to admit I'm not in good enough shape to DO a trek! But your wonderful pictures make me wish I could.

My favorite pictures are the ones of you and Mike after the sisters pull, the one of you and Mike under "Heading Out", the one of Tucker, Shane and Ilah, and all the other pics that have Tucker and Ilah in them!

I miss you all so much!

Rachel said...

Love it Jenn! What a cool experience! I've never had a tick before....Hope you got rid of them easily. Yuck.

akpotohor sunday said...

Blaze credit card offers you with it's convenient and easy to use methods, as you make your everyday purchases, whether shopping online or dinning out. this card is by first savings bank. it is very secured and safe for you to make use of it. it is one of the most best credit card been used, everywhere you go.