Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Our First Eagle Scout


As most of you know, Tucker completed his Eagle project last summer during his HEFY trip to Tonga.  He collected all kinds of rugby equipment (shoes, socks, jerseys, shoes, balls, pads, shoes, etc.) to provision a rugby team in Tonga.

 Although he did some fundraising, most of the equipment was donated - not by sports companies, but by individuals Tucker located through an email campaign.  The money earned through fundraising was used to help pay for the excessive baggage fees to transport the equipment.

I don't think any of us realized the headache, and more importantly, the testimony building this experience would be for our family.  I cannot put into words how thankful I am that Tucker was able to have this experience.  What a blessing it has been.  So many miracles... from getting in touch with the right people through emails/blogs - to earning enough money to transport all of the boxes - to airline employees who didn't weigh things correctly and who allowed things through customs that apparently weren't supposed to be allowed through - to all but one of the seven HUGE boxes making it safely, etc., etc., etc.  Even though Tucker had to leave a lot of stuff behind simply because he couldn't afford the baggage fees, he still had enough equipment to provision TWO rugby teams.  One team was set up before hand though HEFY.







The other team was coached by a local that Tucker met at Yum Yum Burgers.  It was a complete surprise.






It has been almost 9 months since his trip.  He had to finish up a couple of merit badges, turn in his eagle paper work, and have his board of review.  Check - Check - and Check!  A couple of months ago we received a letter congratulating Tucker on becoming an Eagle scout.  We had hoped to have his Eagle Court of Honor the same weekend that Taysom took out her endowment hoping to have some extended family there to celebrate with us.  Unfortunately it was the same weekend as Stake Conference, and we couldn't make it work.  Instead we planned for Wednesday March 27, 2013.  Mom designed the program for us...

This was folded in half - the right side as the front.



Inside the program


It was a wonderful evening.  Our "family" out here provided the refreshments - American flag cupcakes from the Tuckers and cookies from the Belnaps and Arayas.  Tucker was showered in love and support.  I cried through the video watching my little boy growing up before my eyes and felt guilty as his pinned the mother's pin onto my lanyard.  I remember my mom guiding my brothers as they worked through the scouting program and especially their eagle projects.  Tucker really did this on his own.  My contribution of teaching him that he could mail boxes using the post office instead of the UPS store seemed so insignificant and definitely not "pin-worthy".  Since it is tradition, I kept it... mostly to remind me of this incredible experience.



Way to go Tucker!

*see Eagle slideshow


5 comments:

Adrienne said...

Jenn, what an incredible post and what incredible things happening to your family... As I have and continue to watch your kids grow up I am amazed at their "beauty"(boys and girls) their talent, their testimony, their drive, their intelligence, etc. I know a lot of what they have they brought with them to earth but a lot of what they have they owe to you and Mike and how you have loved and raised them and the example you guys have given them. I want all of these things for my children, but Chris and I are not Mike and you....... I am just so excited for Taysom in the MTC and for Tucker with his Eagle and for Ilah and Henry with all that they have to do and look forward to... I love you guys so, so, so much!!! P.S. I want to see the video!

Becca said...

Great job, Tucker! I told our kids yesterday that it was Tucker's birthday and that now he was 18! They were excited that he is going to be putting in his mission papers soon.
LOVE the pictures from your beach vaca. It makes me so excited for the beach!! The pictures are beautiful!

Megs said...

Tucker is an amazing kid--congratulations!

Rachel said...

I can't get over how grown up Tucker looks/is! Good job to all of you. For the record, I'm still jealous that Tucker got to go to Tonga.

Grandma and Grandpa Crosby said...

So proud of Tucker and his accomplishment. You and Mike gave him all the tools he needed (including independence, determination, and a very bright mind) to see his project through to the end. And what an end!

Why don't you post the video you made for the Eagle Court of Honor? We'd all love to see it.