Saturday, May 19, 2012

Looking Good, but date wasn't so good



Tucker was invited to prom by at least two girls.  One of the invites came from his good friend Melia who moved to Tulsa and another invite came from Kylie who lives in our stake boundaries.  Tucker somewhat reluctantly said yes to both.  (As you know, he has been trying to save money for his HEFY Tonga trip this summer, and he knew prom would cost some money.)  When I found out he was going to two proms I offered to buy him a suit he could use for both so he wouldn't have to rent a tux twice.  He readily agreed.  We went shopping one Saturday... should have brought Mike along as I know nothing about suit sizes.  I had Tucker take a size 34 suit coat into the dressing room since that is his waist size.  he looked like Tommy Boy when he came out.  I could hear Chris Farley singing, "Fat man in a little coat" even though it had nothing to do with weight.  We tried on several until we decided that he must be a size 40 long.  Of course there wasn't a 40 LONG in the suit he wanted so we ordered it online and thought we were done.  Well, Kylie wanted him to have a vest.  The two of them went to rent one and find a tie to match her dress.  He paid $30 to rent a vest.  I thought that sounded like a big waste of money so I took him shopping again to look for vests.  If you're going to pay $30 for a vest, you should get to keep it, shouldn't you?  We found one for $32.  He went and got a refund on his rental.  With mom paying for his suit/vest and Kylie's mom making the corsage, Tucker was getting off easy, financially.

The day of Melia's prom was the same as the day Mike and I were scheduled to conduct tours of the Kansas City Temple for the open house and the same day as Henry and Ilah's band competition in Nevada, MO.  It was also a bad weather day... severe thunderstorm warnings and guaranteed tornadoes in central Oklahoma and heading north through Kansas all the way to Kansas City, MO.  I was stressed!  Henry and Ilah were going to be picked up by my friend Kim and then would be home alone with Tucker in Tulsa and Mike and I in Kansas City.  All of us would be separated and in places where severe weather was predicted.  I was extremely relieved when Tulsa canceled their prom.  That way Tucker wouldn't be traveling in bad weather and would be home when Ilah and Henry got home.  I'm sure Tucker would have had a great time with Melia so I feel bad about that, but they are going to HEFY together and will have plenty of time to hang out then.

The day of Kylie's prom was the same day as the last youth temple trip to Oklahoma City to do baptisms for the dead.  Tucker had planned on going and told Kylie that he would be a little late.  As soon as he got home from baptisms, he changed and informed me that Kylie didn't want to go to prom in the van so he was taking the Cruiser.  I cleaned off bird turd from the hood and got my purse so Tucker could take the car.  I guess Kylie called while that was going on - upset that Tucker was late - either she forgot or there was a miscommunication.  I rushed him out to take a couple of pictures and he left with his mapquest directions.  The directions were wrong so Tucker was over an hour late.  The date was not off to a good start, and it went downhill from there. 

Tucker needs to write a blog post about this prom experience.  To sum it up, he said it was the worst $60 he ever spent. 

6 comments:

Becca said...

I really want to hear the story, Tucker! I think everyone should have at least one bad/awkward prom experience. High School isn't complete without it! At least you got a suit out of it. Wish we could have seen you guys during the temple open house. Maybe we could plan a get-together this summer??

Rachel said...

I loved hearing Taysom's version of his date, she could barely get a full sentence out because she was laughing so hard.

Frances Wallace said...

I remember a magical teen couple heading off to dances. How could they be so old and have children going threw these tortuous experiences?

Oh! How old does that make me? OUCH!

Grandma and Grandpa Crosby said...

What a handsome guy! I'm not surprised that the girls are asking him out. Wish Prom had been a better experience for him though!

Taysom Wallace said...

Haha, Tucker you are such a stud! and are so lucky to have a Mom and Dad who would help finance your wardrobe :) Thanks Mom and Dad, by the way!!!
Taysom

Anonymous said...

He 'reluctantly' said yes to going to prom with his "good friend"? They must not be very good friends.