Sunday, March 27, 2011

Peanut Butter and Raspberry Jelly!

Ever since the Annie Jr. play, Ilah has caught the acting bug.  She went to her first casting call (if that is what it is called) for a movie about Bonnie and Clyde.  I guess some of it is going to be shot here in Joplin, and they need extras.  Ilah convinced me to take her a few Saturdays ago.  We had no idea what to expect.  We found a super long winding line that luckily kept moving.  Unfortunately we didn't realize that she needed to bring a photo of herself (head shot?) so we got to pay a young man $5 to take a snap shot of her.  Then we filled out a short form and left it in the box marked for girls 10-12.   Sadly, she hasn't heard anything.

A couple of Sundays ago, Ilah and Henry spent all afternoon - while Mike and I napped - choreographing, practicing, and then performing, complete with costumes, "Peanut Butter and Raspberry Jelly". (They have made some minor changes in the lyrics so that both Peanut Butter AND Jelly are singing ;)  Ilah said that she was going to show it to Mrs. Reidiger (the director of Annie Jr.) in hopes of making a lasting impression.  Henry and Ilah are both planning on trying out for next year's play.  I think Mrs. Reidiger would be a fool not to cast them for some major roles!




This reminds me of the many times I would try to get my brothers and sisters to pratice a song/dance with me so that we could perform it for Mom and Dad and/or Grandma and Grandpa Hinckley out on their back lawn.  Too bad we don't have some old videos of that! 

I wish I would have had the guts to participate in a play or musical in highschool.  For some reason I was petrified of trying anything extra curricular.  I don't think I would have admitted it then.  I probably would have just said I wasn't interested or that I was too busy with homework and later on work.  And it is almost impossible to have a job and participate in extra curricular activities.  Taysom and Tucker can attest to that.  (We're keeping our fingers crossed that they get to shuck some corn this summer in Iowa! )  Speaking of Taysom, she tried out for the highschool's spring musical.  It is called "The Drowsy Chaperone" - has anyone ever heard of it?  She is a showgirl and an extra in most of the scenes.  Performances are coming up in May!

5 comments:

Megs said...

This video is awesome! I remember those days...my friends and I made magic in front of the video camera.

Frances Wallace said...

I'm going to cry, they are so darling. Gee, it makes me want a sandwich.

They look so grown up.

One Opinionated Housewife said...

How did she make the jelly costume? I am super impressed. I also love her painting...she is a chip off of her grandma's block.

The Wallace Family said...

She used part of an old Halloween costume (she was ketchup). Her friend's dad had the materials and helped them :)

Grandma and Grandpa Crosby said...

Well Done! Such creative and talented minds!

I too wish we had videos of the skits our kids put on for us and for Grandma & Grandpa Hinckley. We do have a few snap shots though, and the memories should last forever.

And here I thought you didn't try out for those things because you thought it wasn't cool somehow. Sorry I didn't push you harder.

Continued success to all your talented thespians!