Sunday, February 21, 2010

A Life-long Lent

Today I deactivated my facebook account. Why? I'm not positive. Facebook has always kind of been an addiction for me. I got on to escape chores and homework and then had to stay up late into the night to finnish my assignments. It has prevented me from spending my time with my siblings. It has kept me from giving Snoop more attention. It has allowed me to hold on to things that I really needed to just let go. It had taken place over personal scripture study and prayer... It's been a problem and I am now ready to end it.



I know I'm not Catholic, but there is a practice that I admire that Catholics do. I believed it is termed lent. This practice encourages people to give up something small for a certain period of time. It's purpose is to show how hard it is to give up a tiny want in our lives, in order to show how great Christ's sacrifice was and to come to a greater appreciation of the atonement.



Today I'm not giving up meat for a few weeks (disclaimer: according to my Catholic friends that's the traditional Lent offering, I'm not really sure if its true, though) I'm not giving up chocolate or TV for a few days. I'm giving up a distraction for life. I'm not doing it to understand the Lord's sacrifice, because as a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, I'm already doing that. It's one of the many great things about my religion. As members we give up our time due to church callings and activites, we give up part of our income (tithing), we give up food (fasting), and perhaps the hardest sacrifice for me is giving up being popular in the eyes of the world. We have high standards and we fight to keep them. No, instead of giving up facebook to understand the Lord's sacrifice, I will be giving up facebook so that I can become closer to the Lord and be worthy to partake of the blessings given to me because of his sacrifice.



Taysom

8 comments:

Bennions said...

Way to go Taysom. You are one awesome girl.

Grandma and Grandpa Crosby said...

WOW! And here I was just considering getting on facebook so I could keep in touch better with you and the other grandkids. But that's fine with me......I'm not sure I could have gotten the hang of it anyway!

BTW, I owe you one old fashioned letter!

Love, Grandma

Becca said...

Awesome Taysom! My friends have been bugging me for years to get on facebook, but I haven't, because it is just one more thing to take up my time. I used to have a myspace account, but I canceled that too a while back. Good job, I bet that is a big sacrifice on your part.

Rachel said...

I think you may start a trend! I also think facebook is a big waste of time, but it's totally addicting once you get on. Way to go, just another reason I think you're "cool".

The Wallace Family said...

Thanks you guys! Ya, it's definitely been hard. Today I came home from school and sat down on the computer to get on facebook, when I realized I no longer had an account. I also keep thinking of fun things to put as my status and then realize that I don't have an empty bar to put my status in... Oh addictions... they are fun to recover from :)

Rachel: I wouldn't mind being a trendsetter :)

Grandma: I owe you a letter too. Maybe with this time I'm off facebook I will be able to write more. yay! :)

Ben said...

I was WONDERING who defriended me!

Anonymous said...

haha, sorry ben :)

taysom

Frances Wallace said...

I have to admit facebook was a way to keep in touch with you often. I felt I was part of your daily life. So I am sad.

YOU ARE SO FAR AWAY!