Friday, September 11, 2009

9/11 a day not forgotten or rather a day to always be remembered.

Every year since 2001 the remembrance of this terrible day in American history seems to be treated with less and less significance. Through my fourth-fifth grade we had a special ceremony, my middle school years we had discussions in a couple of my classes over the horrific events that affected every citizen in the United States of America. My ninth grade year my school made a presentation that every class was obligated to watch. This year and the year previous I did not watch one movie on it and I hadn't even heard people talk about it except when my teacher announced that we would not be watching the presentation of it...and sadly, I was okay with that. I suppose that I was so wrapped up in my homework and selfish thoughts of how I was going to handle my busy schedule this weekend that I did not realize how important my memories of that time were to me until my very last class of the day.

I walked into my seventh hour debate classroom and caught my breath. I had just pushed through the a busy hallway that had been crowded with students going the opposite direction that I was heading, and I was tired. Not only tired of my experience getting to class but also because I was thinking of all my homework that I had to do... It seems like that's all I ever talk about or do anymore. Anyways, I went to my seat and pulled out my math textbook and did homework of course. (I was trying to cut down on the number of textbooks I would need to bring home.) After the tardy bell rang and I had gotten a couple of math problems done the lights suddenly went off and the smart board screen had turned blue. I looked up, ready to tell whoever had turned off the lights to stop messing, only to find that Mr. Stackhouse was the one who had done it.

Ignoring the questions all of his students were asking him, Mr. Stackhouse said we were going to watch a movie and to be quiet. A few moments later all of our eyes were on the screen watching the second tower fall. We watched it fall about twenty times from different view points each time. After he had sombered us, he again told us to be quiet and he presented a slide show on the board... The slides said something like this...

"Please be quiet"


"don't talk to your neighbor."


"Today each person will be giving a speech."



"The speech will start with these two phrases..."


"I was in (blank) grade when 9/11 occurred... and...on 9/11 I remember..."


"Your speech can be as long or as short as you want it. I (Mr. Stackhouse) will go first and after I'm done and when your ready you can go up to the front of the room and give your speech."


It was after we had finished reading the slides that Mr. Stackhouse got up and gave his speech. Immediately emotion filled the room as were remembered 9/11. After he was done my classmates also gave their speeches. Some ending in tears... others memories of confusion and fear... and others with statements of how it brought our country closer together.

As each student got up I knew my moment was becoming closer and closer, and I dreaded it, because as I listened to the speeches it seemed like everyone remembered exactly what they were doing that day and I remembered nothing specific about that day. When I thought of September 11th there was only one thing I really thought of...

Finally, every one else had gone, and it was my turn. I walked up to the front of the room knowing that I would either end up balling or not being serious to cover up my emotions... knowing either one would be bad.

Here is what I said:

"I was in the third grade when 9/11 occurred. I don't remember what my class was doing that day and I don't remember how I found out what happened, but I do remember that about a week or so after 9/11 rumors began being spread around my hometown of Las Vegas that a similar attack was to happen to the MGM... and obviously that didn't happen but... (this is where I burst in tears) my dad worked there! I was a third grader and who wondered every day if my dad was going to come home alive. I always thought someone was going to attack my hometown."

I sat down and began mopping up my tear stained face with a tissue, and Mr. Stackhouse got up again. He said that he heard someone say this earlier today and he wanted to share it with us. He said, "9/11 is always referred to as a day that will never be forgotten, but it really should be known as a day that shall always be remembered."

I hope that none of you allow math homework or busy schedules to get in the way of your remembrance of this important day in history. Please don't let it pass by without a thought. It is a day that should always be remembered.

Taysom Wallace
September 11, 2009

6 comments:

Richie said...

Bravo, well put. Kudos to you and your teacher.
-rach

Zadi said...

Wow. Taysom your an incredible writer! Great job.
Zadi

Anonymous said...

thanks you guys :) i just thought something needed to be said about what happened.

<3 taysom

The Wallace Family said...

Keep up the awesome posting Taysom!! Thanks for helping us to reflect and honor the past.

<3 you!!
Mom

Grandma and Grandpa Crosby said...

I remember watching the news that morning and thinking it couldn't be real...that this really couldn't be happening...not here! I also remember the surge of patriotism that followed, and thrilling at the patriotic songs of our country. i.e. the last verse of America The Beautiful. "Oh, beautiful for patriot dream that sees beyond the years thine alabaster cities gleam, undimmed by human tears! America, America! God shed his grace on thee, and crown thy good with brotherhood from sea to shining sea." Thanks for helping me to remember.

Grandma "C"

Anonymous said...

your welcome mom :) and that is a beautiful song grandma. and i still can't fully comprehend what happened... i mean what did we do to deserve that?

<3 taysom