Sunday, June 24, 2012

Temple Open House


Back in April, Mike and I were asked to be tour guides for the Kansas City Temple Open House.  We had to go to Kansas City for a training meeting a week or two before the open house.  After our training at the stake center, across the street from the temple, we were able to tour the temple ourselves.  We started by noting the Angel Moroni and the engraving "Holiness to the Lord the House of the Lord". 




After putting on the booties, we entered the temple.  At each stop, our tour guide briefly yet perfectly explained each room and shared his testimony of the temple relating to each room.  As we finished the tour, I thought, "Why was I asked to do this???  I can't do this.  I want each person's experience of going on the tour to be as wonderful as mine just was."  And I started worrying and stressing.  Mike, on the other hand, was excited.  If it hadn't been for him, I'm sure I would have backed out.

The day before our turn to conduct the tours, there were some scary weather reports.  I think I mentioned in an earlier blog post about how our family would be spread out that day - Tucker in Tulsa for a prom, Ilah and Henry in Nevada, MO for solo and ensemble festival, and then Mike and I in Kansas City for the temple open house.  I was very concerned about Ilah and Henry being dropped off to an empty house and Tucker traveling in bad weather... not to mention the fact that the forecast predicted tornadoes near Kansas City.  I was ready to stay home.  Again the only thing preventing me from doing so was Mike.  I knew how much he wanted to go.  About an hour before we left, we got word that Tucker's prom was cancelled due to the predicted bad weather.  At least he would be home with Ilah and Henry.

Mike and I carpooled with our friends the Belnaps since we didn't have a reliable car to get us there.  The Belnaps told us to pack a bag in case the weather was too bad to drive back home.  It never came to that.



I had been so concerned about the weather, I hadn't worried about conducting the tours, but once we made it safely to the stake center across from the temple, my anxiety level shot sky high.  Luckily, they needed someone to play prelude music.  I was asked to do so and was happy for the diversion.  In our pre-shift meeting, the Brother encouraged both tour guides to take turns conducting the tour and being the 'follower' (the one bringing up the rear).  Frankly, I wanted Mike to ALWAYS be the tour guide.  I was happy to be the follower.  On our first tour Mike was the leader.  I think we mostly had nonmembers in that group.  Mike did an amazing job. It felt just like when I took the tour, and I was thankful for that. I stayed at the back and quietly answered a few questions from some recent college graduates.  



The majority of the next group seemed to be members.  Mike forced me to lead that one.  I got tongue tied at the front desk, but I couldn't quit so I did the best I could.   I know I didn't connect everything as beautifully nor share testimony as powerfully as Mike, but I did it.  I am thankful that most of that group already had testimonies of the temple.  They were very kind, nodding their encouragement.  Right up front next to me was a family with a 9 or 10 year old boy.  He was who I tried to focus on as that is the age group I work with every day.  We had a good time trying to notice all of the places with the olive branch.  It is everywhere - etched in windows, in the pattern on the carpeting and wallpaper, etc.  I was so relieved when we finished that tour.



The next tour was our last one.  The threat of bad weather probably kept a lot of people away.  Mike conducted that one as well and it was wonderful. 



We waited for Dan and Melanie (the Belnaps) to finish up their duties and then headed home.




Although it was extremely windy, that was the worst of it for us.  There were many tornadoes reported elsewhere, but Kansas City and Joplin were left alone. 

We took the kids out of school the following week so that they could go on the tour too.  Henry was thrilled when he realized that he had been in several rooms in the temple before Taysom :)  Since then we have been able to go through an endowment session and witness the sealing of Taysom's good friend Brittany Lietz to Joshua Holgate.

We now only have a 2 1/2 hour drive to the temple and no tolls.  Not quite as easy as when we were in Vegas, but so much more do-able than Oklahoma City.


The temple is the house of God, a place of love and beauty.

6 comments:

Megs said...

Great post. And a great experience. I've only been to one temple open house, and we loved it. The volunteers were all amazing. The photos are beautiful! Did you take them?

The Wallace Family said...

I wish! I borrowed these from the blog about the temple construction. I should add a link to their site.

Grandma and Grandpa Crosby said...

So glad you have shared your account of this historic event. Just wish you weren't so hard on yourself. You handle yourself and speak beautifully in front of any group! Surely your testimony was just what someone in that group needed.

Becca said...

I wish we had been a part of your tour group! I think it would've been great for Izzy and Theo to see you guys leading the tour. Miss you all! Your post was great and I love the pictures.

Rachel said...

What a neat experience! I'm so glad the weather cooperated and that everyone was safe!

Taysom Wallace said...

It's so beautiful!!! :) You will be blessed for your efforts and I am sure that you were a great tour guide and instrument in the Lord's hands. I can't wait to go there when I get home :)

Your first born in the wilderness :)