Monday, August 15, 2011

Integrity #4

As most of you know I'm almost 18 and while I'm kind of excited to officially be an adult, there are a few things that I need to get done first.  The biggest priority is to finish my personal progress.  I have 4 experiences and three projects to complete before September 25 : / Yikes!  Anyway, I figured that since I'm on the computer so much that I could use the blog to help me complete those last few items, so if you could help me out with your responses I would greatly appreciate it : )

Integrity is defined as:
-The state of being unimpaired; soundness or wholeness.
                  The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary 
                  Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
     
-adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty.  
-the state of being whole, entire, or undiminished.

-a sound, unimpaired, or perfect condition.
                 dictionary.com
-honesty, incorruptability
-wholeness, entirety
-soundness
             Oxford American Dictionary 1980
What is your definition of integrity?
What action do you think of when you hear the word integrity?
Who would you consider the greatest example of integrity?
Name an experience when you or another person exemplified integrity?
What blessings do you believe come when one applies integrity in his/her life?
Why is integrity important?/or is it?
Do you have integrity?  (this is just food for thought)
If you can please respond.  You do not need to answer all or any of these questions, it may just be a good thing to think about today, but if you are willing please post the answers or send them to me on facebook or on my e-mail (taysomew@yahoo.com).  Thank you for your help :)
Taysom

6 comments:

Adrienne said...

Hey Taysom, I'm glad to know that I'm not the only Laurel who waited till I was almost 18. I know you'll get it all done and do it better than I ever did. Now I need to start over as a leader with my personal Progress so wish me luck.

Anyway, when you wrote the definitions of integrity and questions about it - I immediately thought about my dad, your grandpa. I think all of us in this family have integrity and all of us could share experiences, but Grandpa's is more "dramatic" and didn't necessarily have a "fairytale" ending. I will try to make the long story short. Grandpa knew that his boss was being dishonest in his business many years ago, I think I was probably 10 or 11. Grandpa confronted his boss and was ridiculed at work and fired for standing up for what was right. He'll be able to tell you more, but what I find interesting is that he had integrity, he did what was right, yet he wasn't immediately rewarded. It was a few months at least before he found a job, during that time he commuted to St. George and he and grandma were apart from each other during the week. When he did get a job, although it was good, he never made as much money as he did at the original company. There were a lot of ramifications, hurt feelings, etc. But I believe the blessings that came out of that are necessarily material. I know Grandpa is a better man because of that - his faith was strengthened and now his posterity has that example to look to and follow and learn from. Integrity is doing the right thing even when it is hard... Love you Tay!

The Wallace Family said...

Thank you Adrienne! :) I agree with your definition, and that story is really neat. I never knew that happened. I'm glad I inherited such a legacy. Goodluck with your own personal progress! I love you!

Taysom

Grandma and Grandpa Crosby said...

We're not ignoring you........we're thinking on it and will get back to you soon.

Grandma and Grandpa Crosby said...

I remember a statement given years ago: 'A lie is ANY communication given to another with the intent to deceive.' A lie can be effectively communicated without words ever being spoken.
Two good scriptures: Gen. 14: 22-23; Prov. 6:16-19.
Alexander Pope (An Essay on Man) "An honest man's the noblest work of God."
Where there is honesty other virtues will follow.
I love you Taysom...wouldn't our world be a totally different place if we all believed in being honest!
Love, G. Pa Crosby

Grandma and Grandpa Crosby said...

Taysom, I doubt my thoughts will enlighten you much, but if it helps with your personal progress.....

I think it’s considerably easier to act with integrity when it comes to the big and “public” things that everyone will know about. But it is much harder to act with integrity when it comes to the small and more private things. Things that others may never even know about. Or if they did would simply “wink” or give us a pass when we make the wrong choices, because....after all, it’s not that important. But if we don’t have integrity in the small things...... do we really have integrity at all?

I have a feeling that you're one of those choice individuals who acts with integrity in every situation. Don't ever change dear!

Love, Grandma "C"

The Wallace Family said...

Thank you Grandma and Grandpa! I can't wait to look up those scriptures and the essay mentioned. I also appreciated the comments about lying which I completely agree with. Grandma, I agree that it is those little things that build up integrity, and I'm working on making them important to me :) I hope to have complete integrity one day, but as for now I'm just striving for it. Thank you for your help! I love you two!

Love,
Taysom